Thursday, July 7, 2011

SUCCESS!

For the past 3 months I've been using my spare time to search for adoption attorneys where we live.  I seriously thought that this would be the easiest part of this whole journey.  I mean, seriously, I do work in a law firm, and my father basically knows every lawyer that has ever practiced in our state.  I was soooo wrong.  Apparently, out of the 50 trillion family lawyers in our area, there are only a couple that actually do adoptions.  Out of the 20 or so that claim to work adoption cases, there are only a handful that have actually done so, and done it well.  Until today, we were looking at around $3k or so for an attorney.  We had only budgetted around $2k for an attorney initially, so I felt like a total failure when I couldn't find anyone to do it for cheaper. 

As a last ditch effort, I called my father and asked him to call a friend of his, who just so happens to be the best adoption attorney in our state.  I'd been hesitant to even ask how much he would charge, since I knew we couldn't afford him.  I mean, really, he wrote the book that all the other adoption attorneys use as their reference.  After a quick convo with my dad, he agreed to speak with me.  I called today not expecting much and was blown away when he told me that if we paid the court costs, he'd do everything for FREE.  {insert Applause here}  Thank God for small and BIG favors. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a question? Perhaps some advice? Please leave a comment. I can use all the help I can get!