Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Little Dresses for Little People



And the wait continues..... 
I stumbled upon this verse yesterday: 1 Samuel 1:27-28 "27 I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. 28 So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD." While John 13:7 is a verse that means a TON to our family, I feel like this verse specifically means a ton to me.  This child will be a child of my prayers and of my heart, not of my body.  And I need to constantly remember that he/she is God's child and is only given to me as a blessing.

I'm anxious and impatient to meet our little one, but I'm not even sure what I'd do if we actually got THE CALL.  I mean, honestly, I have practically no idea what to do with a tiny baby.  I've been talking to friends, and my mother, and everyone I can think of about how to care for a newborn, but I don't feel like I am any closer to having it figured out than when I first began.  For instance, how do you give a baby a bath and cut their fingernails? How often do you give them a bath?  Do all of the answers change if you have a baby of a different race?  There is so much to all of this and sometimes I get the feeling from people that it's all just trial and error....

While I'm not trying to get our nursery, or my brain, ready to have a baby in our home, I've been working on some crafty projects.  I told some really good friends like 6 months ago that I would "try" and make both of their daughters pillowcase dresses for this summer.  After going over how this was going to work without a pattern a million times in my head, I finally just started cutting.  I used an old garnet pillowcase that I hardly ever use as a trial dress.  Pictures of the completed project are below.  It turned out so well that I went ahead and added some ric-rac to this dress and gave it away.  Now that I semi-know what I'm doing, I started working on the dresses with the good fabric (pictures of this fabric below).  More pictures to come shortly, as I'm trying to make sure I document each step.  

Finished: mini-gamecock dress?
Bright pink polkadot material for Miss McKenna's Dress
Brown and turquoise bird pattern for Lady Violet's Dress

Lastly: I found this ridiculously cool charity that takes pillowcase dresses(which are super easy and inexpensive to make) and sends them to Africa for the little girls to wear.  Most of these dresses end up at the orphanage where the kids don't have a lot of clothing.  Check it out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a question? Perhaps some advice? Please leave a comment. I can use all the help I can get!