Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Questions Answered: Fostering *Amended Version*

I've been mulling over this post for a couple of days now.  I'm not sure if I've got my thoughts completely worked out, but I need to give the writing a chance to make sense.  Here goes.....

I have the feeling that there a few people out there that are confused/concerned about our willingness to foster children, but haven't been able (for whatever reason) to ask us about it.  I'm just going to go ahead and answer what I presume would be your questions to us. 
  • You just adopted a child....why do you feel that you need to now foster more?  Is 1 not enough?
    • Layla was a gift from God that I love with all I am.  However.... God placed a passion in our hearts for orphans and children who are in need.  That passion doesn't stop with Layla.  God knew all along that she would be our daughter and she is a perfect fit for our family, but we know, without a shadow of a doubt, that she isn't the only child that we have room in our hearts for.  As we soak in the precious moments with her, we can't deny the fact that God is breaking our hearts for children who don't have their needs met and love lavished upon them as they deserve.
  • Are you guys running into this blindly? 
    • Sometimes it may seem like I just throw things out into the blogger world from left field.  This isn't the case.  I spend a great deal of time thinking and praying over what I'm going to write long before I write it.  Fostering is no different.  I've spend the last couple of months specifically asking the Holy Spirit to show up in my life and ask me to do His will, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes me.  *You should never ask this if you don't really want it to happen, because it will.*  So he placed a tiny seed about becoming a foster parent in my brain and in our hearts a couple of months ago.  We've been praying diligently about this and feel that we are very close to deciding to make it official.  (More about this later)
  • Don't you know the risk involved?  Those kids have so many issues....
    • Children in foster care generally have issues because their parents were never around, didn't care, or were abusive.  These kids come from bad situations, but generally aren't bad kids (there are exceptions to the rule obviously).  We don't expect to change every child that walks into our home.  We do expect to show them Christ and provide them with as much love and opportunity to succeed as we are able.  We fully understand that some kids will act out.  Windows may get smashed and things might get stolen.  Honestly, I'm ok with taking that risk.  If we are able to help just 1 kid see Christ, then its worth it.  (FYI: We will probably only take children that are elementary school aged so that my work and our youth don't interfere with our time with them.)  A lot of these kids need a loving hand to hold, and if we as Christians won't take a step out of fear and do something to love them, then who is going to?  Every child is worth saving.
  • What kind of time frame are you looking at?  Don't you have a million things going on already?
    • We won't even consider fostering a child until I am done with school, which should be sometime this summer.  Layla will also be 1 in July.  There is a possibility that I will be able to begin teaching next school year.  This would be ideal as I would have breaks off with the kids.  We might begin the process of getting licensed to be foster parents long before we actually get any kids placed with us as this could take a while.
  • How do you know that God is calling you to be a foster parent?
    • This is where the Holy Spirit shows up and starts doing crazy stuff. 
      • I just finished "Kisses from Katie" by Katie Davis of Amazima Ministries.  She mentions the importance of Luke 12:48 to her life and her sacrifice.  Luke 12:48 = "From everyone who has been given much, much will be required."  Ryan and I have been blessed beyond belief.  Our marriage is sound, our finances are strong, and we have been given so much love our entire lives from both our family and friends.  God prepared us well to be put in a situation where we are required to GIVE.  Loving someone who may not love you back IS a sacrifice, but we would be entirely wrong if we thought that God would want us to keep all the love and blessings He has given us to ourselves.  Did I mention that people who know nothing about this or each other have been telling me to read this verse over and over lately......  Can you say Confirmation?
      • Let's face it and be honest for a second.  We are scared of practically everything.  Fear is what drives us to do a lot of what we do each day.  Fear of what some crazy kid from foster care will do to your furniture, or fear of how people might percieve you and your ever changing, never perfect family keep a lot of people who love kids from becoming foster parents.  We hear the horror stories and decide that there is no way that we could pour our time and hearts into a kid that is just going to get taken away from us.  I'm completely afraid of all of these things, but I know that God is bigger than my fear.  God is absolutely going to put me in a situation that I can't handle....and He's going to handle it for me.  All he wants us to do is say "Yes."  He's already got some master plan all laid out for us if we'll just tell Him we're willing and let Him do the rest.
I think I've covered most of my bases.  Seriously though, I'd love to talk to anyone about this that still has questions.  I'm sorry if I come across as harsh at all in the way I worded anything.  I'm doing my best at letting it be ok if not everyone agrees with us on this one, but I still get defensive at times and I'm sorry.  Guess I'm still learning how to deal with that aspect......

2 comments:

  1. I love seeing your's & Ryan's heart for God and for children. We're keeping you in prayer and especially the darling Layla! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your heart Anna! I'm really thankful that the Lord is putting more and more love in your's and Ryan's heart. beautiful family!!

    ReplyDelete

Got a question? Perhaps some advice? Please leave a comment. I can use all the help I can get!